St. Peter's School, Lewiston, Class of 1910. Maine Memory Network. "St. Peter's School ('Ecole St Pierre') was the first parish school in Lewiston. It opened in 1878 to serve the French-speaking children of immigrants who poured into Lewiston in the 1860s and 70s to work in the mills. Although children were taught exclusively in French -- from Canadian textbooks -- until the 1930s, there was a growing desire among parents to "Americanize" their children to provide them with better life chances. Note the large Stars and Stripes behind the graduates."
French-Canadian immigrants in Maine: identity and assimilation in Franco-American communities
Possible Keywords: (use asterisk to retrieve spelling variations)
Catalog Subject Headings
Search the CBB Collections: