Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For help with any library resource
Search for books in any of Colby's catalogs, expanding your search with subject linking
- for readily available books
- search catalogs of libraries worldwide WorldCat
- includes rare materials that may not be available elsewhere. Note that these may be on microfilm Center for Research Libraries
Directions on signing up for ILL
More ways to search:
by Author , typing in the family name first. (But: Marie, de France )
by writer as Subject , e.g.:
Look for more Subject lines in catalog records and use them to branch out to more topics, e.g.:
Keyword Searching Tips- -
Experiment with synonyms
Use asterisks to search for multiple word-forms at once:
= Poet, Poetry, Poetic, Poets Poet* Use quotation marks to search for a phrase:
"Marie de France" Try searching the CBB catalog for
or Companion and your keyword. Like this: Handbook . Companion Chaucer
Companions can be very helpful in getting oriented to a new area of study.
To Request Books from Bates, Bowdoin, or Colby Storage
Click where the arrow points to request. Fill in the numerals only of the barcode on the back of your Colby ID.
Click here for 1-minute videos on how to search CBBcat , search WorldCat , submit ILL requests, etc.
Continue your research using terminology and facts learned from the background information to search for articles in:
JSTOR - A collection of scholarly journals, many embargoed for the most current 5 years.
Iter - Citations for secondary sources on the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, 400-1700. Search Article Title in OneSearch or Journal / Book Title in CBBcat. If not found, go to My ILLiad Account.
- Multidisciplinary bibliography of Europe, North Africa, and the Near East, 300-1500. Search citations as for Iter. International Medieval Bibliography
Philosopher's Index - Citations and abstracts from hundreds of journals on philosophy and related interdisciplinary fields, 1940 to present
- Includes "Overviews" of works Literature Resource Center
Articles in academic journals reflect current scholarly debate
Look for a sidebar in databases that will allow you to limit searches by date, type
of source, language, etc.
Explore digitized primary sources in:
Medieval Manuscripts Online
- images of paintings and other art, searchable by keyword, period, artist, place ArtStor Use Advanced Search!
- Index of Medieval Art Princeton University's index of art -- primarily from the medieval era -- presenting Christian iconography as well as Jewish, Islamic, and nonreligious subjects
Investigate the notes and bibliographies of every good source you find for leads to more. For a quick video on how to look up and request articles you find cited, click here .
Think about what sorts of publications the information you need might be published in.
B iographical? Try encyclopedia articles or book-biographies.
P rimary sources? Look for letters, government documents, and artworks.
L iterary analyses of an author? Search in Iter or International Medieval Bibliography for articles, in catalogs for books.
Colby College Logo
Colby College on Facebook
Colby College on YouTube
Colby College on Vimeo