Conduct more targeted searches in individual databases for newspaper, magazine & journal articles:
to more resources for information on the authors listed. Notice that they include bibliographies.
Another source for brief biographies of authors is the Literary Encyclopedia:
The Baroque Library Hall in The Clementium. Source: Wikicommons
The Clementinum is mentioned in "The Secret Miracle" by Jorge Luis Borges. The main character has a dream of the library of Clementinum where the librarians look for God in the books of the library.
- Creates a written work
- People read it
- They discuss it, some in writing
- Scholarly analyses
- Biographers record, assess, contextualize
Think Strategically about Your Research
Why use Reference sources?
To look for...
definitions, historical context, biographical information
How can you identify a scholarly journal article?
an abstract, in-text citations, a bibliography. Scholarly Journals report original research in a specific discipline and typically contain peer reviewed articles
In general, the purpose of annotations is to inform a researcher consulting the bibliography on aspects of the cited title, such as
How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography Cornell U. Library
Tips for Using MLA International Bibliography
1. Take advantage of folders and the ability to export citations in MLA format.
2. Set search limits before you begin searching so that ALL your results are from scholarly, peer-reviewed journals or books.
3. Use the "Names as Subjects" function to isolate a set of articles about the author you are working on; then refine your search by adding Subject Terms.
4. NEVER GIVE UP! Almost every article will be available to you either online, on mcrofilm, in print, or through Interlibrary Loan.