Use Colby's library to check out books, articles, and encyclopedias about your host country. Do you know...
- Who are the sports heros? Artists? Famous historic figures?
- Which languages are encouraged? Which are discouraged?
- What's the main religion? How do people view other religions?
- What are the attitudes on gender, marriage, or sexuality?
- Do many people drink, smoke, or gamble? Do customs differ between regions?
- What holidays will you participate in? What gifts do people give?
- What traditional foods are popular? What international foods (KFC, Turkish doner, Coca-Cola) do people enjoy?
- Who runs the country? Who's in charge? Who can vote? How are laws enforced?
- Is education free? What about university? If students go abroad, where do they go?
- How does the country make its money (tourism, technology, exports, services)?
- What economic structures are in place? Who pays taxes? How high is inflation?
Do a bit of research in newspapers, anthropology journals, or guidebooks. What else should you know before you go?