Forever Free (courtesy of ARTstor)
1. We are going to work with ARTstor.
2. Use the ART subject tab on the ART/MUSIC home page to find these recommended encyclopedias: Oxford/Grove Art Online and American National Biography. Find the article about the artist in both encyclopedias. Which one seems more complete? One of the articles lists where the letters (e.g. primary resource) of Edmonia Lewis can be found. Which encyclopedia is this?
3. Use the AR/AM375 Tab to find article databases for this course. Use one of the recommended journal databases (e.g. JSTOR, America History and Life, Art Abstracts, or others) to find an article about the artist and the work, Forever Free. Is the article peer reviewed?
4. Use CBBcat to find a book about kneeling slaves. Using Google Scholar, type in the title of the book and see how many other scholars cited this book, and locate one or two more related references.
5. Using the AR/AM 375 Guide, find Primary Resources on Edmonia Lewis and/or Forever Free.