St Peter's School, Lewiston, Class of 1910. Maine Memory Network. (accessed Feb. 19, 2017). "St Peter's School ('Ecole St Pierre') was the first parish school in Lewiston. It opened in 1878 to serve the French-speaking children of immigrants who poured into Lewiston in the 1860s and 70s to work in the mills. Although children were taught exclusively in French -- from Canadian textbooks -- until the 1930s, there was a growing desire among parents to "Americanize" their children to provide them with better life chances. Note the large Stars and Stripes behind the graduates."
French-Canadian immigrants in Maine: identity and assimilation in Franco-American communities
Possible Keywords: (use asterisk to retrieve spelling variations)
Catalog Subject Headings
Search the CBB Collections: